Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Peggy's Communication

Yesterday, with the help of Marvel, Lolo, and Kelly, we all tried to spell with Peggy. It took the four of us to really verify whether she was spelling yes or no. We got about a sentence spelled out together, although later when we confirmed it with Peggy she said that she didn't say that, so we're not sure. The communication has become very challenging. She has definite movement in her eyes, but confirming yes or no is often uncertain. There are times when her yeses look very clear and definite.

I took the opportunity to have another discussion about Peggy and her quality of life, trying to deduce from yes and no questioning whether she is still happy with her quality of life. Also, given our financial situation, there may be a need to scale back some of the services and level of care that we have always had. As always, I want to keep Peggy informed about where things are at and allow her to be a part of the decision making process regarding her health care.

We seemed to be getting yes and no answers, but there was a lot of contradicting and confusing responses. We think that she responded that she is satisfied with her current quality of life, but need to follow up with more conversations to be sure.

I told Peggy that we will continue to have these conversations over the next few days. I wanted to share all of this with you so that everyone is in the loop of where things are at. I know how hard is is to communicate with Peggy and I know how hard it is to know whether or not she is content, but you all are doing an amazing job. As I've said before, you know her best and caring for her based on what she used to like and ask of us is exactly what we should be doing right now.

As always, I will continue to update all of you on Peggy's communication and emotional state. The one thing I am sure of is that she loves all of you and truly enjoys the laughter, warmth, and joy you bring into her house everyday.

I have a meeting with Clarence from Hospice next week and we will be discussing the format and dates of some support group meetings and other support for all of our caregivers. Please come talk to me if you have any questions, comments, concerns, or just need to talk. I'm here for all of you and I am so grateful for the strength you all give to me. Thank you.

1 comment:

Maria Rose said...

Thanks Kimi
We sure live in "interesting" times and Peggy has become part of it.
I wonder if the difficulty in reading her "yes and no" answers comes not only from her eye movements but could also involve her mental status?
It is a difficult and challenging time for all but "we shall overcome" and press onward! :-)
Thank YOU for all you do for Peggy and us.