Saturday, November 3, 2007

A Boo Story

We are so excited to share this wonderful story from Peggy's dear friends The Lewis Family...Read on and Enjoy!

Dear Peggy,

Here is a wonderful story about Boo. One that you might not expect. And one that I hope you will love.

About 10 days ago, our copies of The Watercolor Cat arrived. We were thrilled. Wendy and Jett were overjoyed with delight. Because of my business demands, I couldn't read your book until the next morning. I went to bed looking forward to spending quality time with Boo's story.

The next morning around 7:00 AM, I went outside to get the daily LA Times and also found the weekly edition of the local town paper laying next to it. I brought them both inside and placed them next to my reading chair in the living room. I reached for The Watercolor Cat and began to read all about Boo and Peggy. 

My heart filled with all the emotions as colors in a rainbow. I wept and laughed as I turned each page. Boo's story was just wonderful as Shelly promised in one of her television interviews. This book is truly one of your greatest masterpieces. I'll treasure it forever.

The television interview also Shelly quoted Boo saying "Everything happens for the right reasons." Little did I know how true this point would be until I closed The Watercolor Cat and put it down.

I reached beside me and opened up the local paper. I casually scanned each page knowing that it would contain nothing more than dull hometown chatter.

Then, without warning, a headline jumped up to me. My eyes popped open and my heart began to pound. There was a found cat named "Boo" looking for a home!

Here is the article:



I called upstairs to Wendy. I said we have to give Boo a home. She and Jett were both struck by the irony of The Watercolor Cat and the newspaper article. It was kismet. 

That afternoon, the three of us were over at the home of the woman, Kathleen, who was caring for Boo. The woman who found Boo was a different person. She was Heidi, the editor of the local town paper.

Kathleen told us that Heidi had found Boo in an alley a few weeks earlier. He had been abandoned for many days. His body was gaunt. His eyes were closed from the mites that were ravaging his body, so he was essentially blind. Someone had cruelly poured engine oil over his body. Boo was staggering and meowing for help. 

It was only a matter of time before Boo would get hit by a car and end his misery. But Heidi heard his meow, reached down, and began Boo's wonderful rescue. She took him to the vet and starting his recovery.

Sitting in Kathleen's house, as we listened to Boo's dramatic story, we looked down on the floor. Here was the new Boo two weeks later. Free of mites. Gaining weight. Playing with Jett and then scooting across the floor--full of joy, fun, and frolic. 

Then we told Kathleen about Peggy's Boo. We brought a copy of The Watercolor Cat for her to look at. She was charmed and touched by the book. She could not believe the coincidence.

We had to wait for over a week to have Boo arrive at our house. During that time, he had his final medical check-ups, he was neutered, and micro-chipped. 

Boo arrived the day before yesterday. He was very nervous and frightened. He hid behind the large dresser in the guest room for hours. We were hoping that he would relax. We were fearful that he was not going to adjust. We have cats and dogs. We hoped that Boo would fit in--if only he would adjust.

Fast forward to this morning. I heard Jett's loud laughter coming from the bedroom where Boo was staying. She said that Boo and our other cat, "Beau" were not only playing together, they were practically doing gymnastics with each other. It's a match made in heaven.

So Peggy, my love, here is our little story of Boo. I hope that it brings a smile to your heart, much like your book brought to my heart.

With constant love from all of us,

Peter, Wendy, and Jett

2 comments:

Maria Rose said...

You KNOW how I feel about cats but this story really touched me.
I like to think of it as Boo doing his heavenly works here on earth!
Thanks to the Lewis family for taking the time to share that wonderful story. They are a special family.
WOW

Donna said...

Wow is right! I had goose bumps and tears in my eyes after reading that story from the Lewis Family. I LOVE cats and whenever I would be at Peg's...I would search Boo out if she had not come for a hug or pet. I would always have a treat in my purse for her. What a story...Boo is leaving her mark, transformed into a male! A heartwarming story. Donna Sullivan