Wednesday, March 4, 2009

New Gallery, Peg's Legs Roster, Tuesdays with Morrie, and More!

Hey Legs! I can't believe over a week has gone by since I blogged last...it has just been so hard to keep up with the blog with no internet at the house. In fact, having no internet has made me realize how much I love it and NEED it! I'm at home this morning trying to catch up on all my computer work before I head over to the house to meet up with Da Girls, Eric, and any Legs that might be joining us to work on the house.

Things are moving along beautifully! Karen, Kelly, and I went down to the new gallery yesterday to see the place and get the inside scoops from Mariko who has been running the gallery as Nuuanu Gallery for the past 2 years. She has been incredibly helpful and the great news is that she will be moving over to work at The Arts at Mark's Garage, so she'll be our neighbor! She is moving out this week and so we are hoping to start moving our stuff in at the end of this week/beginning of next. We will not be participating in this week's First Friday, but we are going to be putting a "Coming Soon" sign in the window with our banner/Peg's photo.

These are exciting times for us Gallery Girls! We got new Peggy Chun Gallery shirts and have been working on updating our wardrobes since we're going to be a lot more visible soon! Big glass windows are great motivation to get out of our "boro boro" clothes! No more slippahs and sweats to work, but that's OK, we're moving on up and we love it!

So this week and next we will be getting everything ready to move down to the new place. We have our insurance set up and should be getting our keys any day. There is a lot to do to on the business front - new business cards, update the website, change of address forms, new Peggy Chun gallery sign, letters to our vendors about the change, newsletter to our customers, talk to Hawaiian tel about keeping our phone number, set up DSL, new shelving for our prints, the list goes on and on! But it is all fun and and exciting.

I am so thrilled to share that last week we paid off the last of Peggy's medical debt as well as all of our other bills! I found myself tearing up - out of joy and relief. It was a beautiful moment. I am so grateful to be moving on without the weight of those medical bills on us. I feel like we can really begin this new chapter now.

That's just about it - just a couple more items - First, the Peg's Legs Roster is complete! I have sent it to FedEx printing and I am picking them up today at 2pm. If you submitted your info to the roster, then you get one - free of charge!!! I will have them at Peggy's house tomorrow and then when we move to the new gallery, we'll have them there.

If you would like to have it emailed to you as a PDF, just let me know, I can do that too. I can also email it to you as a FileMaker File if you have that application!

Also, coming up, the Manoa Valley Theatre's next production is "Tuesdays with Morrie" based on the amazing book by Mitch Album. If you haven't read this book, go out and get it today! It is the story of how Mitch ends up caring for his former professor who has ALS - it is the beautiful tale of their weekly visits...a must read and a must-see at the MVT!

Even more wonderful is that a percentage of sales for the Thursday, March 19th performance will benefit ALS Research. Refreshments will be provided by Gourmet Events Hawaii and will also be available for purchase prior to the show. Gourmet Events Hawaii is owned by Kat Hurtubise (previous MDA Hawaii District Director and Peg's Leg!).

After the show, there will be a panel discussion about ALS and caregiving...I will be on the panel along with Vi Jones-Medusky. We are also hoping that a couple of you would be able to participate on the panel. Please call me if you are interested in participating...I have Hanna on board already and would love one more person who is perhaps familiar with the book and would feel comfortable being on stage to discuss your time with Peggy as it relates to the theme of "Tuesdays with Morrie". Let me know!

OK, phew! Long blog! I will be sure to blog again before Eric and I leave next week for Hualalai! We are sooooooo looking forward to our getaway! I can't believe it is already next week! Woohoo!

No comments: