Friday, August 29, 2008

Happy Aloha Friday!


Indy had her first day of school at Hanahauoli yesterday (see photo of her in her new backpack!). When I picked her up and asked how it was she shouted, "I love it!". It brought me to tears. I'm so happy for her. I can tell that she is going to love it there as much as I did.

Working at Peggy's now. I have Sawyer here since his school is closed today. It is a quiet day around here. I took the day off yesterday, but heard that Peggy's eyes were really clear yesterday. Seems like her eyes have been less irritated lately, but spelling with her still is very challenging. Most days it is primarily "yes" and "no" communication.

I have to say, things are looking very serious in regard to Peggy's medical expenses. Despite the recent fundraising efforts, we are still just scraping by. We really have only enough to get us through the next couple months at best. The Art for ALS fundraiser raised a lot of awareness about ALS and raised some money for the ALS Association/ALS research and also for Peggy. We are so grateful to the artists and supporters who donated directly to Peggy's care, but it all totaled just about 1/3 of a month's worth of care for her.

We are thinking about having another event. Perhaps an art/pre-Christmas sale here at the house to sell some of the leftover art donations from Art for ALS. Of course, we're pretty exhausted and need to catch our breath before we embark on another effort.

I hate to talk about money and write about all of this, especially when people have given so much - so much time, so much money, so much aloha. However, I feel that it is important that people do understand how truly challenging it is to maintain this level of care in the home. Yes, this is an inspiring, amazing adventure we are on and it is true that we are very blessed...but it is not always easy...

OK, I feel better now. Writing this blog is such a cathartic experience for me. Thank you for listening, you devoted blog readers! Now, I'm off to go pick up Indy at school and then pick up my mom from work (she just has a couple more weeks before she can start trying to put weight on that broken leg of hers).

Hope everyone has a fabulous LOOOOONG weekend!

No comments: