Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Watercolor Cat Wins Award!

Please enjoy this wonderful email from Suzanne Maurer (who, may I add is ALSO AMAZING!!!!):

Aloha to all,

Tonight Peggy and Shelly won the most prestigious award given to children's literature the--Ka Palapala Po‘okele Award! It was such a THRILL just to be nominated and then to WIN over the other 7 nominated in that category...it was an INCREDIBLE night!!! Shelly and I went running out the door to call Peggy, Shelly talked, I cried! We had so wished Peggy could be at the awards dinner, but she will be at The Hawaii Bok & Music Festival at Honolulu Hale tomorrow and so tonight was a bit much.

HOWEVER, it was a night to remember. I was SO HONORED that Shelly invited me. God gave me the AMAZING PRIVILEGE of introducing Shelly to Peggy and asking her to write Peggy's story, little did I dream...!

When I was a bit more composed, I called Peggy and Lolo (Peggy's "A" care giver tonight) to REJOICE with them. Peggy was officially diagnosed with ALs March 21, 2002. She was planning to attend our daughter's decorating party for her's and Nalu's wedding on March 22 (the wedding was March 23). Peggy called me at 7 AM on the 22nd to tell me she has the flu and wouldn't be able to attend, but would I please come up and gather up all the greens Peggy had picked for the decorating party? I did and she still only said she had the flu.

At Nalu and Cathee's wedding, Peggy was one of the last one's off the dance floor, about midnight. It wasn't 'til a few days later Peggy called and asked me to come up to the house...to tell me she didn't have the flu, she had ALS! We cried and were sad and I admit angry and distraught at what we knew lay ahead.

But as I was walking into the Keoni Auditorium tonight, I remembered back to that conversation and God giving me the courage to share with Peggy -- "Peggy, as much
as I hate this diagnosis, I truly believe God is going to use you in incredible ways in thousands of people's lives through this illness". May I just say, little did I know!!! When I think of Peggy's part in COURAGE TO LIVE; The Watercolor Cat; the Damien mosaic, just the lives she touches on a day to day basis. PTL.

Peggy, you are AMAZING; Shelly, you are AMAZING and dear Lord, You are AMAZING.

Please REJOICE with us and this WONDERFUL award and love, hugs and blessings to each of you...

No comments: